07 5609 4924


Tower Search Helper

Is there any specific information you're looking for? Search with some keywords in the box below.

Body Corporate Committee Maintenance

Body Corporate Maintenance – Who Does What?

Confused over whether something is your responsibility as a lot owner, or if it is a Body Corporate maintenance responsibility?

Confused over whether something is your responsibility as a lot owner, or if it is a Body Corporate maintenance responsibility?
We get questions regarding responsibilities from our clients regularly – so I thought I’d share here how it’s worked out and what to do next.

The simple answer

In general terms – as a lot owner – you are responsible for maintaining your “lot”; and the Body Corporate is responsible maintaining the common property of the scheme.

The longer answer

But in reality, it can be a little tricker than that.

In Queensland there are two types of subdivision survey plans, and there are differences between the two which affect “boundary” definitions of common property and the lots within a scheme – and who is responsible for what.

The clarification of responsibilities really depends on which particular subdivision survey plan your community titles scheme has been registered under – Building Format Plan (BFP) or Standard Format Plan (SFP). That is the first thing you will need to check out with your body corporate manager or committee.

Building Format Plan (BFP)

Under the BFP – the Body Corporate is typically responsible for maintaining the following:

  • Utility infrastructure on the exterior of the lot (common property)
  • Exterior doors and windows and the external portion of the balcony balustrade
  • Building foundations and supporting framework
  • The roofing structure (and membranes) which is considered the boundary between the lot and common property
  • The common property lawns and gardens
  • Exterior painting of the entire scheme/building
  • Garage doors and fittings and exclusive use basement carparks (the individual car space still must be maintained by the individual lot owner)

The lot owner is typically responsible for maintaining the following:

  • Doors and windows which lead onto a balcony area as this forms part of the lot
  • Any fixture or fitting that is not original to the scheme and has been installed by the lot owner (or previous lot owner) for their benefit only
  • Dishwashers, sinks, garbage disposal units, shower screens and trays
  • Some elements of the utility infrastructure – such as hot water systems and associated pipework and wiring, air conditioning systems, cold water pipes and cables that are located within an internal wall within the lot

Standard Format Plan (SFP)

In the SFP – the Body Corporate is typically responsible for maintaining the following:

  • The common property roads, gardens and lawns
  • Some elements of the utility infrastructure located on common property (boundary of the yard)

The lot owner is typically responsible for maintaining the following:

  • The garage attached to the lot
  • The roofing structure. If the roof is shared with another lot owner, then each owner shares any associated maintenance costs and responsibility
  • Balconies
  • Exterior doors, windows and supporting framework/foundations
  • Guttering – unless guttering is shared with another lot
  • External maintenance and painting – Note that the Body Corporate may provide direction on paint colour choices etc
  • All gardens and lawns located within the boundary of the lot
  • Water pipework and cabling, located within the boundary that service the one lot only

Still not sure?

If you still have questions around your responsibilities and body corporate maintenance responsibilities, the best thing to do is to contact your body corporate manager or body corporate committee for clarification on which format plan is relevant to your scheme.

By Tammy Lynch

Growing up I always dreamed of travelling overseas and seeing the world, and what started as a 12-month journey turned into 14 years! Settled back into Australia now, and relishing the challenges of Body Corporate Management.

10 replies on “Body Corporate Maintenance – Who Does What?”

I live under body Corp in a block of units in Victoria, each lot owner has a car space under the carport belonging to each lot. I recently purchased a unit, building inspection showed shared carport is not up to building codes needs to be pulled down. Who bears the cost of a new build & why was it left in bad condition for many many years? I thought body Corp had a responsibility to make sure the carport was in good condition. Any advice would be appreciated


Thanks for your comment. We are based on the Gold Coast and the rules vary from state to state so we can’t provide an answer in this case. If you have a body corporate manager they should be able to give you an answer with reference to the legislations. Otherwise you could send your question to Look Up Strata (https://www.lookupstrata.com.au/) and I’m sure they would find someone to respond.



In a BUP, who is responsible for maintaining/repairing the garage door which is on the lot boundary and services only that lot.


this sounds like it would be Body Corporate responsibility but you should check with your body corporate manager to see if there are any specific conditions for your building such as a by-law that may affect that.



When I purchased my unit it came with 3 balconies. One of the balconies you could only get to if you slid up the big widow. As it had broken glass and a safety is because it was 20 years old and corroded from the salt I replace it with a door which was approved by the B/C. It didnt have a balustrade, I asked the B/C to put one on and they said it was my problem because I replace the rotting window with a door 2m in length by 1.5 in width even though its a 3 metre drop. The balustade is only 1.2m by 1.25m. Very small. Please advise who would be responsible

Hi Maree,

Thanks for your mail. I’d recommend that you contact your body corporate manager to review and discuss. They can help you determine if the responsibility for the balcony lies with the owner or the body corporate and if the changes you had done to your property impact this. You wold need to see all relevant documents for the property in order to establish this.



Where I rent ( near the beach )the 3rd bedroom has awning windows which open out approx 15cm, One window has been seized closed since we have moved in, the second has a broken handle so it is impossible to be closed and is open all the time. Rain, pests & wind whistles like mad through it making the bedroom extremely difficult to sleep in.. and now as the room is always damp the lighting fixtures have also corroded and now the lights dont work.
I have requested via the agent that the owner rectify at least one window but they have refused.
I have since been informed that the windows are a body corp responsibility, can you please advise whom is responsible ??


It sounds like you are a tenant so you need to resolve this matter through the agent/landlord. If they do not give you a satisfactory answer you can contact the office of Fair Trading. External windows are often strata property but it depends on the rules for your building. It’s up to your agent/landlord to have that conversation with the owners corporation.

Hi Thomas,

If the power box only benefits your lot it would likely be owner’s responsibility to pay. If it is for the use of more than one owner it would likely be strata reponsibility. Either way you should contact your strata manager to discuss – you shouldn’t take any action until you have had an official approval from the Owners Corporation.

Will Marquand, Tower Body Corporate

I have a external power box on my wall lot and i want to cage it and have a Energy Aust lock attach,is the cost owners corp or lot owner..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.